We Latinos love to accompany our meals with a sauce and also enjoy indulging in saucy dishes ÔÇô and although we don't have a specific day or month to savor it, it's always good to have an excuse to enjoy this delicious ingredient.
To celebrate National Sauce Month, renowned chef Vicente Del R?¡o, owner of Frida Mexican Cuisine and founder of the Taste of Mexico Association, created two exclusive recipes: an exquisite Chicken Tinga and succulent Swiss Enchiladas prepared with the authentic Mexican LAS PALMAS?« sauces!
LAS PALMAS?« sauces are made with tomatoes, tomatillos and real chiles, as well as other ingredients and spices that have been part of Mexican cuisine for centuries. In addition, these recipes are based on those that have been passed down from generation to generation; thus, the results are dishes with authentic Mexican flavor!
ÔÇó ?¢ cup plus 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil, separated
ÔÇó 1 (28 oz.) can of Las Palmas?« Mild Green Enchilada Sauce or Las Palmas?« Medium Green Enchilada Sauce
ÔÇó 2 tsp. of salt
ÔÇó 1 ?¢ lbs. (about three cups) of cooked chicken breast, shredded
ÔÇó 12 corn tortillas
ÔÇó 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese (or Mozzarella), shredded
ÔÇó 1/3 cup of sour cream
ÔÇó ?? cup of onions, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat; add green enchilada sauce and salt. Simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat ?¢ cup of oil over medium heat; fry the tortillas for about 5 seconds on each side.
4. Place cooked tortilla in a baking dish, add ?? cup shredded chicken to center, spoon a tablespoon of sauce onto chicken, roll (seam side down) and repeat process with remaining tortillas and filling.
5. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle cheese on top.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Allow to cool.
7. Before serving, drizzle with sour cream and top with onions.
Chicken Tinga with Red Chile Sauce
4 to 6 servings
ÔÇó 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil
ÔÇó 1 large white onion, diced
ÔÇó 1 lb. of tomatoes, diced
ÔÇó 2 bay leaves
ÔÇó 2 lbs. (about 3 ?¢ cups) of cooked chicken breast, shredded
ÔÇó 1 (28 oz.) can of Las Palmas?« Medium Red Chile Sauce
ÔÇó 2 tbsp. of chicken bouillon seasoning
ÔÇó ?? cup of queso fresco, crumbled
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and saut?® for about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and bay leaves. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add shredded chicken, red chile sauce and bouillon seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove bay leaves.
4. Sprinkle queso fresco and serve.