D?¡a de Muertos (Spanish for Day of the Dead) is a celebration of Mexican origin that is currently commemorated in several countries since it is a unique opportunity to remember and honor our deceased. Family reunions and the preparation of ofrendas are a tradition and the foods commonly served during this time or that are included as part of the ofrendas are tamales, mole, tortillas, rice and beans ÔÇô and, of course, a delicious sauce is always needed to bring out the best of each dish!
Prepared with LAS PALMAS Authentic Mexican Sauces, renowned chef Vicente del R?¡o, owner of Frida Mexican Cuisine and founder of the Taste of Mexico Association, shares his recipe for two classic dishes: Alb??ndigas en Salsa Verde (Meatballs in Green Sauce) and Entomatadas Rojas (Red Tomatoed Enchiladas) that can be prepared for family reunions or included as part of your ofrenda.
LAS PALMAS sauces are made with tomatoes, tomatillos and real chiles, as well as other ingredients and spices that have been a part of Mexican cuisine for centuries. In addition, these recipes are based on those that have been passed down from generation to generation; the results are dishes with authentic Mexican flavor!
1. In a food processor or molcajete, grind the garlic, onion, cumin, cloves, salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and add the beef, pork, raw egg, breadcrumbs and hierbabuena. Use your hands to combine thoroughly.
2. Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half and cut each half into 9 pieces. Around each piece of egg, form meatballs, using about 1?¢ oz (45g) meat for each. Set aside.
3. Add the LAS PALMAS?« Red Chile Sauce with puree of garlic and onion in a blender and strain. Heat the oil in a skillet, add the pureed LAS PALMAS?« Green Chile Sauce and bring to a boil. Add 3 cups of water and salt and cook, covered, for 6 minutes. Uncover and add the meatballs. Cook, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes. Correct the seasoning.
4. Variation: For added flavor, you can add chopped carrots and zucchini (courgette) to the sauce.
ÔÇó 3 tomatoes (18 oz/540 g)
ÔÇó 1 sliced onion
ÔÇó 2 small garlic cloves
ÔÇó 1?¢ cups (12 fl oz/375 ml) of chicken stock
ÔÇó 1 can (28 oz) of LAS PALMAS?« Red Enchilada Sauce
ÔÇó 2 tablespoons of lard
ÔÇó 18 corn tortillas
ÔÇó 1 cup (4oz/125g ) of crumbled queso fresco (or feta cheese)
ÔÇó ?¢ cup (4 fl oz/120 ml) of sour cream (cr?¿me fraiche)
1. Pour the LAS PALMAS Red Enchilada Sauce, tomatoes, onions, chicken stock and garlic in a blender with ?¢ cup (4 fl oz/120 ml) of water and blend.
2. Melt the lard in a small skillet; add the LAS PALMAS Red Enchilada Sauce puree and saut?® for 5 minutes, set aside.
3. Heat oil in a small skillet; cook the corn tortillas one by one. Add 1 tablespoon of the blended LAS PALMAS sauce to each tortilla and stir well.
4. Add the queso fresco and the sour cream.