The Hispanic Public Relations Association, Los Angeles chapter (HPRA-LA), announced their call for entries for the 2015 HPRA-LA scholarship program which to date has awarded nearly $400,000 to assist Hispanic students pursuing careers in public relations, journalism and related communications fields.
"Our scholarship program honors outstanding undergraduate and graduate students for their accomplishments in public relations and communications and for their leadership in the community," said Mashi Nyssen, HPRA-LA Board president. "We believe that education will empower youth, which is why we always support students and offer scholarships to help offset college expenses and to give them the recognition they deserve."
This year's HPRA-LA scholarship program will award four undergraduate and two graduate student scholarships, each in the amount of $2,000. One of these recipients will be awarded with the Esther Renteria Community Service Scholarship based on his/her community service and will receive an additional $1,000.
The honorees also get the opportunity to interview for public relations/communications internships at leading agencies and corporate organizations a part of the HPRA network. Additionally, these students will receive a complimentary membership to HPRA-LA.
To be eligible, students must:
* Be accepted to attend a four-year accredited college or university by the Fall 2015 semester or be enrolled for the 2015-2016 school year
* Be incoming college sophomores, juniors or seniors (undergraduates) of at least 25 percent Hispanic decent
* Graduate students must also have at least 25 percent of Hispanic decent
* Have a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA and 3.0 GPA in their major subject
* Live in the state of California
* Major in public relations, communications, journalism, advertising and/or marketing
* A desire to work in public relations/communications industries
* Be available to attend the HPRA PRemio Awards dinner in October 2015 in Los Angeles
Interested students must complete the online application at http://www.hpra-usa.org/laR/scholarship-program/ by Friday, May 22, 2015. Students will be notified in August if they are selected.
The 2015 HPRA scholarship program is funded, in part, by generous contributions of HPRA sponsors. Please note that students who are interested in joining the HPRA-LA chapter can purchase a membership for $30.