As part of the Simplemente Saludable program from Colgate Total, nutritionist Chef Lala, highlights ways to shake up health routines beginning with proper oral health. Today, she shares five nutrition tips that will also help to get a healthy smile.
1. Apples are a healthy source of sweetness, but they could shake up the plaque that typically clings to gums and teeth.
2. Cooking can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Preparing more meals at home can help you take charge of what you're eating and better monitor exactly what goes into your food.
3. Calcium is used for building bones and teeth, you can find it in dairy products. Other sources of calcium include calcium-fortified soymilk (soy beverage), tofu made with calcium sulfate, calcium fortified breakfast cereals and orange juice, and some dark-green leafy vegetables such as bok choy, collard, turnip, and mustard greens.
4. Pack fresh veggies like carrots, jicama and celery for your kid's lunch. Dipping them in hummus is so much fun!
5. To help keep teeth and gums healthy, people living with diabetes need to eat a balanced diet, control their blood glucose levels, and make oral hygiene a priority. Brush twice a day, my favorite toothpaste is Colgate Total, don't forget to floss, and have regular dental check-ups.