Inspiring, heartwarming, intelligent, and humorous, this special story collection celebrates Latino life and community across the country. Whether your roots are in Mexico, Central or South America, the Caribbean or the Iberian Peninsula, the stories in this volume will remind you of the pride, hope and joy of being part of the Latino community in America. This book showcases the storytelling traditions of Latino culture, articulating the joys, struggles and triumphs of the Latino experience:
- An abuela shares memories of encountering Pancho Villa and his army on a hot, dusty summer morning while fetching water at the town square
- A favorite t?a explains her philosophy of life through the methodical preparation of enchiladas
- A young man learns an important lesson about life while trying to make his mother pronounce English ?properly?
- A young woman recounts her family?s successful struggle to survive the Great Depression in Spanish Harlem
- A teacher in a bilingual classroom reflects on how her experience in elementary school with Spanish language discrimination now inspires her to empower Latino students to find strength and pride in their bilingual skills.
With stories that explore culture and identity, and that celebrate families, spirituality, living in two languages, crossing borders and overcoming life?s challenges, each chapter focuses on the uniqueness of Latino experiences and traditions.
Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen are the #1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Susan S?nchez-Casal is a writer, editor, and professor of U.S. Latino studies.
In the spirit of supporting others, a portion of the proceeds from Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul will be donated to the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), the leading voice in Washington, DC for the Hispanic Community. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul is available at all major bookstores and online retail outlets, or to order direct, call Health Communications, Inc. 800-441-5569
ISBN 0-7573-0328-5 Tradepaper $12.95 - August 2005
Jennifer Ramon-Dover, of Hollywood, CA, wrote an original short story that has been published in the newly released Chicken Soup for the Latino Soul.