Unity and Understanding through Tradition:
The Celebration of Dia de los Muertos in East Los Angeles
Dear Artist and Community,
Self Help Graphics & Art celebrates 32 years of its most popular community and cultural celebration exhibition and event, Dia de los Muertos! It has been our tradition at Self Help Graphics & Art / Galeria Otra Vez to have an 'Open Call' to artists and community, encouraging participation to share in the evolving experience of how Dia de los Muertos is being celebrated in greater Los Angeles. This year's visual arts exhibition will present cross-generational artistic expressions and new contemporary interpretations while honoring centuries old traditional culture, yet inspiring this Dia de los Muertos celebration as a form of communal pride and unity of East Los Angeles.
You are cordially invited to submit your artwork for consideration and acceptance for exhibition, titled 'Unity and Understanding through Tradition: The Celebration of Dia de los Muertos in East Los Angeles,' opening Wednesday, November 2nd, 3-10pm. Exhibition will run through Saturday, November 19th, 2005.
Dia de los Muertos is a highly personal and spiritual passage, yet it also undeniably is a visual, and cultural expression. Altars, artesania (craft work), visual, musical and performance arts all share of themselves simultaneously, and it is a rewarding and abundant time to find oneself moved by the power of remembering, honoring, and believing. A wonderfully human part of the tradition is the fact that no departed souls are overlooked; a tradition in which universal love replaces the possessiveness of daily life. It is a tradition, then, in which the dead (known or unknown) are fully alive in the hearts of the living.
So please join us in continuing this celebrated legacy in East Los Angeles. I look forward to your participation!
Christina Ochoa, Curator
For acceptance of artwork, it MUST meet the following criteria:
* ALL ARTWORK MUST STRONGLY EXPRESS THE THEME AND SPIRIT OF DAY OF THE DEAD. (NO HALLOWEEN, OCCULT OR SUPERNATURAL).
* ONLY ONE ENTRY PER ARTIST. ARTWORK MUST BE CURRENT, NEW OR PREVIOULSY UNEXHIBITED.
* TWO-DIMENSIONAL ARTWORK MUST NOT EXCEED 24??ˇ X 36??ˇ. THREE-DIMENSIONAL WORK OR SCULPTURE MUST HAVE OWN STAND.
* ARTWORK MUST BE PROPERLY FRAMED, SECURE AND READY TO HANG.
* ALTAR INSTALATIONS MUST BE PRE-ARRANGED WITH CURATOR, DUE TO SPACE LIMITATION. Contact Christina Ochoa @ 323.881.6442
* NO ARTWORK WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER DEADLINE OF FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22nd, 2005. FINAL ACCEPTANCE OF ALL ARTWORK WILL BE LEFT TO THE DISCRETION OF THE CURATOR.
* PLEASE INDICATE IF YOUR ARTWORK IS FOR SALE. ARTISTS RECEIVE 100% OF ALL SALES, AND ASK THAT YOU KEEP ARTWORK UP FOR THE RUN OF THE EXHIBIT.
PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- DELIVERY OF ARTWORK: FRIDAY & SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21 & 22, 10AM-4PM.
- PICK-UP ARTWORK: TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 22 & 23 10AM-4PM.
- LOCATION: 3802 CESAR E. CHAVEZ AVE., (GALLERY), E. LOS ANGELES, 90063