La Plaza de Cultura y Artes will be a new and important addition to the Cultural Landscape of Los Angeles, a cultural center dedicated to exploring the rich history of the region. It will serve as the official public institution in Los Angeles devoted to the documentation, promotion and representation of Mexican American history and culture, and demonstrate the far-reaching impact of the Mexican American legacy within and outside Southern California.
La Plaza de Cultura y Artes is seeking an experienced professional to serve as Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer. This individual will provide leadership and direction for all operations and activities of the Center. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will implement the strategic goals and objectives of the organization; work with the Chair to enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions; and will give directions and leadership toward the achievement of the organization's philosophy, mission, strategy and objectives.
SCOPE AND Responsibilities
The Executive Director's key responsibilities include the following:
* Board Administration and Support: Supports operations and administration of the Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and supporting Board's evaluation of Chief Executive.
* Fundraising: Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation.
* Program, Product and Service Delivery: Oversees design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services
* Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management: Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization's resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations
* Human Resource Management: Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations
* Community and Public Relations: Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
In summary, the Executive Director will:
* Plan, direct, organize, and control the management of the organization with the help of qualified professional staff.
* Engage the Board of Directors and appropriate staff in the planning, development and implementation of an aggressive and comprehensive Fundraising campaign.
* Provide appropriate guidance and support to planning and building construction efforts.
* Administer all operations and participate in setting and developing policy with the Executive Committee, where appropriate.
* Confer with the Board of Directors as needed.
* Maintain contact with the Chairman, Executive Committee or other committees of the Board where needed.
* Prepare for consideration, with support documentation, matters for decision by the Board of Directors for both long and short-term goals and implement the Board's decision(s) as required or where appropriate
* Ensure that all programs have prepared annual programs budgets for consideration of the Board or committee thereof and that these budget processes are initiated prior to the start of the fiscal year
* Ensure that financial and human resources for all programs are sufficient to reflect service and programs priorities and expectations
* Ensure that budget planning processes are an integral part of the overall service planning process.
* Work with the staff to schedule and ensure that the day to day operations are well supervised.
* Maintain operations and services standards by effective monitoring.
* Maintain a good working relationship with the County, other cultural organizations and other public agencies and community groups and endeavor to achieve the support of the community as a whole.
* Bring new financial initiatives to the attention of the Board.
* Work with the leadership of LAPCA to ensure an artistic and cultural agenda that is carefully planned, fiscally responsible and publicly appealing.
* Promote use of the Center by other nonprofit and commercial organizations such as professional and semi-professional performing arts, community organizations, and civic and corporate entities.
* Work with the Board of Directors and staff to provide and develop long-term goals and short-term objectives in support of the ultimate purpose of LAPCA.
* Assure financial goals are met through balancing of expenses with revenues.
* Work within budget guidelines to create and stage LAPCA sponsored programs and initiatives.
* Represent LAPCA to the general public, the County of Los Angeles, the state of California, national trade organizations and other appropriate constituencies.
* Devise and support educational outreach initiatives.
The CEO will be a seasoned manager with significant experience overseeing the development of major capital projects, preferably in the cultural arena. This experience will be demonstrated through years of progressively significant positions and relevant professional and educational credentials. Candidates should have an existing knowledge base and appreciation of Los Angeles and the Mexican American influence in the culture of this region.
The CEO will lead a staff of talented professionals, and therefore must have the ability to inspire a highly motivated, energetic and dedicated team. The individual must also possess the confidence, innate intelligence and personal presentation skills to work with and support the activities of a very engaged Board of Directors composed of leading government officials, corporate executives and philanthropists.
The ideal candidate will have a personal interest in the cultural climate of Los Angeles; s/he will be an avid consumer of the arts. S/he will be service-oriented and driven by constantly improving quality, reducing costs, and developing people and systems to enhance customer service. The ideal candidate will be an excellent tactician, but also must possess strong strategic planning and implementation skills.
Specific skills and experiences include:
* Significant and proven leadership skills developed through at least ten (10) years in senior management positions.
* Exceptional planning skills and successful experience in long-term strategic and business planning.
* Demonstrated experience in fundraising techniques.
* Demonstrated experience in capital project financial planning.
* The ability to foster a healthy organizational culture to encourage teamwork and collaboration; strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate; effective at conflict management.
* Excellent analytical skills.
* Multi-cultural sensitivity.
* Technologically savvy.
* Ability to build collaborative ventures with diverse constituents.
* Experience reporting to, or working with, a volunteer Board of Directors.
* Excellent communicator with the ability to listen and weigh all aspects of a situation.
* Bilingualism is an asset.
* Proven ability to negotiate and manage relationships with vendors, service providers, renters, constituents, government agencies, producers and presenters.
* Experienced spokesperson, comfortable in the public eye.
* Excellent budgeting and financial management skills.
* High ethical standards and reputation.
HUMAN RESOURCES LEADERSHIP:
* Manage LAPCA's personnel in a sensitive manner consistent with the Center's personnel policies.
* Maintain a sound organizational structure and establish the appropriate practices and procedures to implement all policies.
* Establish annual goals and objectives for LAPCA's senior management team.
* Review and modify LAPCA's staffing structure as needed and replace staff where appropriate.
* A Bachelors degree is required; an MBA or advanced degree is desirable.
* La Plaza de Cultura y Artes offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
Please address all nominations and recommendations to:
Mercedes Paz or Julie Stiller
Executive Vice President, Nonprofit Practice Senior Associate
DHR International DHR International
La Plaza de Cultura y Artes is an Equal Opportunity Employer.