Just in time for Hispanic Heritage Month, Oscar Mayer announced the grand prize winner of its national Sabor de Mam?í recipe contest hosted by TV personality and food expert Maggie Jimenez. Maria Carrion-Kozak of Colorado provided the winning recipe "Tortilla Mam?í Luisa" showcasing the evolution of her grandmother's original Tortilla Espa??ola recipe of which she dedicated it to her mother Luisa who is currently suffering from Alzheimer's.
TV personality and food expert Maggie Jim?®nez, who teamed up with Oscar Mayer to promote the Sabor de Mam?í recipe contest, had the opportunity to meet with Mrs. Carrion-Kozak and sample her special recipe at a recent photo shoot for the brand.
"Oscar Mayer congratulates Mrs. Carrion-Kozak for having a dish that rose above all other entries," said Samantha Gammell, senior associate brand manager, Oscar Mayer. "Her 'Tortilla Mam?í Luisa' recipe is not only delicious but is an excellent representation on how you can integrate Oscar Mayer hot dogs into traditional everyday Latin dishes."
As the winner, Mrs. Carrion-Kozak received a grand prize of $5,000 and is being featured in the fall issue of Kraft Comida y Familia magazine. She will also join Jim?®nez for a live demonstration of her winning recipe at Fiesta Patrias in Los Angeles on Sunday, September 13.
Mama Luisa's Tortilla (Potato Turnover)
* 6 beaten eggs
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 tablespoons sour cream
* 1 ripe avocado cut in thin slices for garnish
* 1/4 cup 2 % milk
* 1/4 onion chopped in small pieces
* 6 Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs cut in 1/2 inch slices
* 2 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 cup Kraft 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Heat a fry pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the potatoes until browned (about 3-4 minutes). Season the potatoes with salt and pepper to taste, put on the lid of the frying pan and lower the heat, cook until the potatoes are cooked (approximately 5-7 minutes more).
* Add the onion and the chopped hot dogs to the frying pan and fry for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the third tablespoon of oil if necessary.
* Beat the eggs with the cream and milk. Season with a little salt.
* Add the beaten eggs to the frying pan. Cook for two minutes and add the Kraft shredded cheddar cheese.
* Put the lid on the frying pan and cook on low heat until the eggs are cooked (for 15 to 20 minutes) You can look to see if the eggs are cooked by inserting a knife and if it comes out clean, it is ready to turn.
* Remove the lid and turn the tortilla using a flat plate. Cook on high heat for 2 minutes until the other side of the tortilla browns a little.
* Turn the tortilla again and decorate the top with the avocado slices.
Please log on to www.sabordemama.com to view the winning recipe and access other exciting Oscar Mayer hot dog recipes.
Urban Latina that enjoys exploring the duality of bicultural Latino life within the United States.